Saturday, September 3, 2011

Stranger in Madison

It’s been a couple of weeks since I arrived in the United States, Madison, the capital of the state of Wisconsin and home to the flagship campus of the University of Wisconsin, to be specific. I would be lying if I say that I did not know what to expect since I have already been to the US before, as a tourist. But it is very different being a resident; it feels different. As a tourist, I always had that sense of hurry in my steps, trying to maximize the “throughput” – the number of “touristy” places covered in a given amount of time. Being a resident brings a sense of calmness, that ability to walk along any random street not caring where it might lead you, well, at least as long as you have a GPS to accompany you.

The other day I was walking on the lakeshore path along lake Mendota, past the undergrad dorms and the UW hospitals until darkness had its way and I had to cut my journey short. I was intending to walk until the university housing – Eagle Heights. It was very beautiful, to say the least. Well, it might get too boring walking alone too often. But I plan to do it at least once a month. It offers a wonderful setting for self-introspection, something which I value very much. Most of my friends must be wondering why I haven’t uploaded pictures of the city yet. Well, it’s just that I don’t want to act like a tourist in my home; yes, this place might be my home for the next few years.

I find Americans quite friendly. Many of them greet me while walking on the streets, well, not in the University area, but at those random residential quarters I wander to every now and then. They may not really mean it, but it is a nice habit, makes one feel glad. I hope to be able to make some American friends in this city. It might take a while given my shy demeanor. But I will try.

There are some challenges ahead of me. The word “funding” might sum it up. All in all, I have had a great fortnight at Madison, something I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment